The holiday decoration contest has been outstanding and we received several nominations. Congratulations to our three winners (each received a $50 gift card)!
The following homes were nominated: 6733 Huntsman, 8905 Side Saddle, 6950 Spaniel, 6718 Sydenstricker, 6824 Spur, 6706 Huntsman, 6605 Huntsman and 6613 Grey Fox.A huge thanks to the volunteers who judged the contest and to all of those who nominated OHECA member homes for participation.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!!
Winter Weather Preparation
(from Delegate Eileen Filler-Corn’s newsletter)
With the winter weather here I wanted to provide you with information you may find useful in case of an emergency. A winter weather advisory has been placed for our area until 2 p.m. this afternoon.
One important website to be aware of is the Fairfax County Emergency Information website which provides constant updates on the weather forecast and conditions. That website can be found here.
Additionally, be aware of power outages currently in effect and possibly more that can be caused by heavy, wet snow and strong winds. Report any power outages to Dominion power by calling 1-866-366-4357 and follow restoration efforts atwww.dom.com. Remember, make alternative plans if you or a family member need power for medical purposes.
The following phone numbers are important to have on hand during a storm
- Emergency: If you are having an emergency, please call 911
- Non-Emergency Information: The Fairfax County Non-Emergency number (703-691-2131); VA TTY NUMBER IS 711
- Shelter Locations: Call 2-1-1 for Shelter Location
- Road Conditions: Call 5-1-1 for road conditions
- Dominion Virginia Power outages and downed wires: 1-866-DOM-HELP (1-866-366-4357)
- Public roads: Virginia Department of Transportation: 1-800-FOR-ROAD (1-800-367-7623)
- Parks: Fairfax County Park Authority: 703-324-8594
- Public Areas: Fairfax County Urban Forestry: 703-324-1770
- Private property: Removal is the property owner’s responsibility. Be aware of the risk of chain saw injury during tree removal. Use a chain saw safely to clear debris. If a tree has hit your home, call your property insurance company before starting the removal process.
- Rising water that threatens your safety, call 9-1-1
- Storm flooding during regular business hours (Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.) – after-hours storm flooding emergencies that are not life threatening – 703-323-1211 and state that you are reporting a storm sewer emergency
- The Virginia state Bureau of Insurance offers free consumer guides entitled, “What to Do After an Insured Commercial Property Loss”‘, and “What to Do After an Insured Homeowners Loss”. These guides are available at www.scc.virginia.gov/boi. The Bureau of Insurance has staff specifically trained to handle disaster insurance questions and problems. Phone: 804 371 9185 or 804 371 9185 or 9691. The toll-free number is 1-877-310-6560.
Please be careful and stay safe. In addition, don’t forget to check on friends and neighbors, especially those who live alone or are elderly.
As always, please do not hesitate to contact my office by phone at (571) 249-3453 or by email at Eileen@EileenFillerCorn.com for any assistance.
The OHECA Board wants to wish everyone a happy holiday season. We hope that you and your family will have a safe holiday shared with family and friends.
To help celebrate we would like to have a Fun Contest to determine the best dressed OHECA ‘Holiday Yard’. Here are the rules of the contest:
* Starts November 29, 2013
* Ends December 13, 2013
* It is about quality, not necessarily quantity
* Residents must place their own decorations up; not pay a contractor
* Residents may nominate their own yard, or nominate others
* All those nominated must be current members of OHECA
There will be three winners. The prizes will be gift cards, all in the amount of $50, to be awarded after the Contest Review Committee headed by Maureen Reed finishes their evaluation.
All nominations may be sent to email@example.com.