Source: Fairfax County Police Department News
Several cases have been reported regarding a scam to get money from potential victims. The scammers will contact you and tell you they are from the court or law enforcement. You will be told you can avoid a warrant if you pay a fine.
No one from the courts, Sheriff’s office, or police department will call and threaten you with arrest. We will never ask for money to avoid prosecution.The Office of the Sheriff also released a caution: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/sheriff/news/2014/jury-duty-scam.htm#
Police urge residents to:
• Contact the court yourself if there is any doubt.
• Be skeptical if someone asks/demands you pay with a Green Dot Moneypack, Western Union, or any electronic wiring service.
• Report suspicious or harassing calls to police online at
• Remember, once money has been wired/sent, it is impossible to recover.
• More information on common scams may be found at